Thursday, August 19, 2010

100 Thing Challenge...Is it Extreme or Not?

I don't believe it is extreme, in my opinion, I think it is a awesome idea and I look forward to the challenge!  To me it is going to be very refreshing to have this stuff gone that just sits here day after day, month after month and some things for years and never be touched or used or even looked at...IT HAS TO GO!  Some of our family and friends thinks we are nuts for thinking this way, but we will see what happens when we get to the end of the road.

Meanwhile...Getting Rid of Stuff!  Wow, that is a big statement right there!  Some people have said to me if I de-clutter my home I will have nothing left...really!?  Who knows, maybe that is true but not in our case!  I am sure there would be plenty that you would want to end up keeping and thus would the decision be if it would go on your 100 Thing Challenge List, that is 100 (personal) Thing List for each of us and then we have yet to come up with a number of how many household items we will only keep.  Stay tuned for that number!

This is very exciting and I absolutely embrace the whole concept wholeheartedly!  Dave Bruno came up with the idea of the 100 Thing Challenge and has a very interesting blog.  Here is the goal of the challenge...

The goal of the 100 Thing Challenge is to break free from the confining habits of American-style consumerism. A lot of people around the world feel "stuck in stuff." They feel like their closets and garages are too full of things that don't really make their lives much better. But how to get unstuck?

Reduce (get rid of some of your stuff)

Refuse (to get more new stuff)

Rejigger (your priorities)

I totally believe that living without abundance of personal possessions for an extended period of time is the first step we ought to take in order to realize that we don't need ever-more stuff. If you do this -- if you will give up your stuff for a while -- I am sure you'll never go back. You'll spend the rest of your life creating a more valuable life, instead of wasting your money and time on stuff. You will be glad. And best of all, the people around you will be blessed by your efforts to prioritize more meaningful pursuits.

You can read his rules but we are going to make our own rules that works for us based on the idea he has and from many others who are doing this challenge as well.  Rich and I are in the first stages of inventorying our stuff, as in large furnishings and kitchen items, and deciding on what we can keep and what can go.  My parents are coming this weekend so we aren't going to wild about it right now, but some things have been posted on Craigslist to hopefully sell.  Since neither of us have jobs right now, we need to sell as much as we can, to get us through the next couple of months and hopefully through and past Christmas.  I am planning on having a garage sale in September with my daughter-in-law, Miranda, but first her and our son, Matt, will be coming over and getting what they might need and want from our stuff.  I don't want to bog them down with STUFF since I am hoping that they learn from what we are doing and don't just have stuff to have stuff, you know what I mean.  Shedding stuff is the key! 

Here is the link to Dave's blog and the 100 Thing Challenge.  Let me know if you decide to take this challenge with me and how it is going for you, I would be really interested in keeping in touch with you.

http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge.html

On your mark, get set...GO...start de-cluttering!

Lisa

2 comments:

Hawley Bed & Breakfast said...

We have been living this way for a long time. Next year when I retire, I have alot more of decluttering to do.
Are you in Lincoln?

Lisa McCarthy said...

Yes, I am in Lincoln and would love to see your place! I have never heard of it before I read your profile. Isn't it wonderful to live simpler lives and purge all the stuff that just bogs you down...I know it has been enlightening to me! Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy and come back often! Please join as a follower and I will do your blog as well. Simply, Lisa