Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Let the Journey begin!

Is it possible to be happier with less stuff?  I am sure it is, as I have seen it posted on many blogs about Simple Living.  Everyone says how much happier they are with less stuff in their lives.  But is it or will it be true in my case?  I pray and hope so!  I am very excited about this journey and have been trying to get my husband, Rich, excited about it as well, but with no luck.  Who would be excited about going through many boxes and totes and doing away with STUFF, personal stuff, your kids stuff, your parents stuff, just plain stuff.  We all have stuff in our lives...is it too much...how much can we do away with to have a simple life and be happy?

I know Rich is or was not excited about de-cluttering our stuff until I sent him 2 links in an email two nights ago about doing that, de-cluttering your life, your home, your personal belongings.  I have been looking forward to doing this for quite some time and have purged some in the past but not to the degree that I am thinking of now.  This will be a big challenge for Rich and I.  Since having teenagers was the most biggest challenge we've had as of yet, this will be the one in our Empty Nest years.

Not only are we going to downsize in belongings but we are going to see if it truly brings us happiness!  That is my goal is to be happy and carefree...everyone wants to be happy, I know, but do you think that getting rid of STUFF in your life will bring you more happiness?  I am hoping so!

So, now to pass on to you, my friends and family, the two links that started this ball rolling for Rich and I two days ago, August 16, 2010.  One is an article from the New York Times featuring Tammy Strobel and her husband Logan Smith, both 31, and living in Portland Oregon and how they started their journey to living simple and being happier.  They even sold their cars...not sure about that one for us?!?!  We'll see!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/business/08consume.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

The second link I sent to Rich was Tammy Strobel's blog called RowdyKittens.  After he had read both the article and some of Tammy's blog he immediately came into the office to get a paper and pen and began writing down the names of books to go to the library to check out the following day.

http://rowdykittens.com/2010/08/4-things-you-can-learn-from-your-lizard-brain/#more-17304

Oh, the excitement continues as we read the books and blogs and learn how these other people are working on downsizing their stuff and their journey through it and how we can make it a wonderful and adventurous journey for us.  Join me as I blog everyday with, hopefully, the excitement of things and stuff disappearing out of our home and out of our lives for good.  Lightening the load for me personally and for my mind.  De-Clutter your home, de-clutter your mind.  Will you join me!

Lisa

2 comments:

Gauna said...

Lisa

Iam intrigued, I shall follow your BOLG and then see if it is something I can do??
Thanks for sharing this idea!

HUGS Janet

Lisa McCarthy said...

Janet, I will love to have you follow me on my journey! Hold on tight it is going to be a bumpy ride but oh so lively and fun! I think it is something everyone can do if you only put your mind to in and embrace it! Which is what we have done. Hugs to you, my friend!

Simply, Lisa